Church of the Good Shepherd is a neighborhood church committed to sharing the love of Jesus.
Our Church Mission is to:
Proclaim the Word of God
We’re committed to preaching, teaching, and living lives that are rooted in and accountable to the Word of God, the Bible. We believe that because God is the author of life, it is in His Word and through the power of His Spirit that we come to know God and to live in freedom. This is the truth that we embrace and proclaim.
Demonstrate the love of Christ
We’re committed to serving those within our church family, in our community, and around the world. We believe that, as followers of Christ, we are called to share our lives with those around us, to be accessible, generous, kind – to demonstrate the loving, compassionate heart of God, exemplified through the life and sacrificial death of His Son, Jesus.
Be Led by the Holy Spirit
We’re committed to following the lead of God’s Holy Spirit in our daily living, in our church services and ministries, and in our interpretation and teaching of scripture. We believe that God is present with use by His Spirit and it is in the counsel, comfort, and power of the Holy Spirit that we endeavor to live and work.
The Church of the Good Shepherd was founded on Berriman Street in Brooklyn in the early 1950’s. It was incorporated in 1954 at it’s present location with Eddie Parker as pastor. Rev. Frank G. Posta was the second pastor and remained in that position until 1981.
The church was renovated in 1988-1990 and a basement was dug out by the men of the church who worked arduously on Friday evenings and Saturday’s to complete the task. During that time the church was the proud owner of it’s own dump truck for transporting dug-out dirt, as that proved less costly than renting one. Sunday School rooms were added in that space.
The church had a large lawn marked by a tall pine tree that was decorated with Christmas lights for many years. In 2007 a second major renovation was undertaken, removing the tree that was a neighborhood landmark. A new sanctuary was erected on the lawn, overlying an equal size basement that is used mostly for Youth Ministries. The project construction was completed by a Christian contractor. The men of the church installed the siding, fashioned and welded a wrought iron fence and did the finishing work in the Mango Room.